Gaudin’s Gymnasium

A well-preserved hall located immediately south of the Theatre Baths was excavated in 1904 by Paul Gaudin who identified it (without good reason) as a gymnasium. It is most likely a fragment of a grand high-imperial town residence. The excavated parts include an apsidal hall or court facing north, flanked by grey monolithic columns on pedestal bases and carrying deluxe white marble composite capitals of the second century, and a narrower side aisle to the east with small apses at each end. Christian crosses were later engraved on the pedestal bases of the columns to either side of the apse of the main hall.